Monday, June 11, 2007

A Personal Plea for Peace

As a grandparent, I realize ever more acutely now that we must let our grandchildren seek their own way through life. Yesterday, we had a farewell dinner for my second grandchild, James Antonio Ernesto Rodriguez. He volunteered for Afghanistan and none of us know why. I couldn't help but cry at the thought of his leaving AND at the departure of all other young men and women who hold ideals of duty to this country in ways that differ from my own. I suppose that age leads to greater reflections on the beauty of life and the fact that in the words of JFK all wars are stupid.

We should lead a world to develop the better nature of humankind--not the lowest and darkest nature of our beings.

I'm reading a new book on the Kennedy Brothers--Robert and John and wonder how our world would look today if either or both had not been assassinated. Ah well we can't know that, but I hope future world leaders will pick up courageously the cause of peace.

How could we go about such a venture? Some would say addressing the needs of the poor, not only the desires of the rich, could lead to people having more time to spend on developing the better natures of their being instead of pursuing survival.

That would be one thought that I fear our present culture/society ignores.

No comments: