Thursday, November 02, 2006

The Day of the Dead

I've written of this elsewhere. The this is lighting candles in memory of those from our family who have died. As I wrote of my mother's lighting candles in the sturdy tubs in New York during the 1950s, a new thought came to me. What if we all took time out to reflect? What if we made a conscious effort to meditate on who we are and what we do and most importantly what we want and need from our interactions with others?

I try to teach reflection in the classes I teach, but the personal reflection I think of if widely practiced by a large number of people could lead to less temptation to rush headlong into the actions that harm us and society. Increasingly, I borrow from my cousin's practice in PR. Using kind terms of address in place of harsh or sarcastic ones among my colleagues or friends, reducing the number of sarcastic wisecracks all these steps, it is my hope, will lead me to a greater place of peace.

Perhaps, I can once again place myself on that sail boat on the big sea that lolls me to a greater sense of peace.

No comments: