Saturday, November 04, 2006

Volunteering

I thought I'd do something productive for the coming elections. Okay, I'm a cynic even when I try not to be. Cynicism interferes with higher spiritual goals. However, I thought I'd begin calling other voters to encourage them to vote. The first caller hung up on me but I persisted. Since it is Saturday, many people were out and about. An older Missouri person disclosed nothing of her intentions so I engaged in friendly non committal conversation so that the next caller who calls her will not get a "hang" up when they attempt to nail down her preferences.

I'm not very good, I learned, at "closing in on people" to persuade them to vote the direction I'd like for them to vote.

This bodes ill for my rhetorical skills but well for my spiritual practices.

No comments: